Friday, August 9, 2013

Baby logs, Type 1: feeding

Our little man spent his first few days in the NICU. It was incredibly tough on us. And him, certainly. We didn't know anyone in Montreal and going through that experience essentially alone was terrible. A result of his long NICU stay was my milk not coming in. I didn't hold him for 8 days so my body didn't know what was up. This was the start of taking baby logs. We've taken 2 important ones so far in parenthood, one for milk/feeding/poo and pee and the other for sleep.

With the breastfeeding log we kept track of:
Date
Time of feeding
Type of latch (good, bad, ok)
Length of time on the boob, on each one (left and right)
How many ML I pumped
How much he ate from bottle/formula after in ML (a necessity to make sure he was getting enough food)
Pee
Poo

I did this every single feed for one month, day and night at any hour to make sure my baby was getting enough to eat. Almost drove me mad. I am not sure this is the stress free approach to breastfeeding that the lactation consultants recommend. Side note: the lactation consultants are the ones who recommend keeping the log.

No comments:

Post a Comment